[其它] 有些事并不像它看上去那样...

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-12-5 17:49:52 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

马上注册,结交更多好友,享用更多功能,让你轻松玩转社区。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

x
THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS WHAT THEY SEEM

有些事并不像它看上去那样

Two traveling angels stopped to spend the night in the home of a wealthy family. The family was rude and refused to let the angels stay in the mansion's guestroom. Instead the angels were given a small space in the cold basement. As they made their bed on the hard floor, the older angel saw a hole in the wall and repaired it. When the younger angel asked why, the older angel replied, "Things aren't always what they seem."

两个旅行中的天使到一个富有的家庭借宿。这家人对他们并不友好,并且拒绝让他们在舒适的客人卧室过夜,而是在冰冷的地下室给他们找了一个角落。当他们铺床时,较老的天使发现墙上有一个洞,就顺手把它修补好了。年轻的天使问为什么,老天使答到:“有些事并不像它看上去那样。”

The next night the pair came to rest at the house of a very poor, but very hospitable farmer and his wife. After sharing what little food they had the couple let the angels sleep in their bed where they could have a good night's rest. When the sun came up the next morning the angels found the farmer and his wife in tears. Their only cow, whose milk had been their sole income, lay dead in the field. The younger angel was infuriated and asked the older angel how could you have let this happen? The first man had everything, yet you helped him, she accused. The second family had little but was willing to share everything, and you let the cow die.

第二晚,两人又到了一个非常贫穷的农家借宿。主人夫妇俩对他们非常热情,把仅有的一点点食物拿出来款待客人,然后又让出自己的床铺给两个天使。第二天一早,两个天使发现农夫和他的妻子在哭泣--他们唯一的生活来源,一头奶牛死了。年轻的天使非常愤怒,他质问老天使为什么会这样,第一个家庭什么都有,老天使还帮助他们修补墙洞,第二个家庭尽管如此贫穷还是热情款待客人,而老天使却没有阻止奶牛的死亡。

"Things aren't always what they seem," the older angel replied. "When we stayed in the basement of the mansion, I noticed there was gold stored in that hole in the wall. Since the owner was so obsessed with greed and unwilling to share his good fortune, I sealed the wall so he wouldn’t find it."

“有些事并不像它看上去那样。”老天使答道,“当我们在地下室过夜时,我从墙洞看到墙里面堆满了金块。因为主人被贪欲所迷惑,不愿意分享他的财富,所以我把墙洞填上了。

"Then last night as we slept in the farmers bed, the angel of death came for his wife. I gave him the cow instead. Things aren't always what they seem."

“昨天晚上,死亡之神来召唤农夫的妻子,我让奶牛代替了她。所以有些事并不像它看上去那样。”

Sometimes that is exactly what happens when things don't turn out the way they should. If you have faith, you just need to trust that every outcome is always to your advantage. You might not know it until some time later...

有些时候事情的表面并不是它实际应该的样子。如果你有信念,你只需要坚信付出总会得到回报。你可能不会发现,直到后来…….

Some people come into our lives and quickly go…

有些人走进我们的生活然后很快就离开了…

Some people become friends and stay awhile...

leaving beautiful footprints on our hearts...

有些人成为朋友并稍作停留… 在我们的心里留下美丽的足印。

and we are never quite the same because we have made a good friend!!

因为有了一个好朋友,我们会变得跟从前不一样!!

Yesterday is history. 昨天是历史。

Tomorrow a mystery. 明天是一个谜。

Today is a gift. 今天是一个礼物。

That's why it's called the present!

因此它才被称为present! (present同时具有当前、目前和礼物的意思)

I think this life is special...live and savour every moment...

This is not a dress rehearsal!

中英文对照故事-苹果树

A long time ago, there was a huge apple tree. A little boy loved to come and lay around it every day. He climbed to the tree top, ate the apples, took a nap under the shadow... He loved the tree and the tree loved to play with him.

很久很久以前,有一棵又高又大的苹果树。一位小男孩,天天到树下来,他爬上去摘苹果吃,在树阴下睡觉。他爱苹果树,苹果树也爱和他一起玩耍。

Time went by... the little boy had grown up and he no longer played around the tree every day. One day, the boy came back to the tree and he looked sad. “Come and play with me,” the tree asked the boy. “I am no longer a kid, I don’t play around trees anymore.” The boy replied, “I want toys. I need money to buy them.” “Sorry, but I don’t have money...but you can pick all my apples and sell them. So, you will have money.” The boy was so excited. He grabbed all the apples on the tree and left happily. The boy never came back after he picked the apples. The tree was sad.

后来,小男孩长大了,不再天天来玩耍。一天他又来到树下,很伤心的样子。苹果树要和他一起玩,男孩说:“不行,我不小了,不能再和你玩,我要玩具,可是没钱买。”苹果树说:“很遗憾,我也没钱,不过,把我所有的果子摘下来卖掉,你不就有钱了?”男孩十分激动,他摘下所有的苹果,高高兴兴地走了。然后,男孩好久都没有来。苹果树很伤心。

One day, the boy returned and the tree was so excited. “Come and play with me,” the tree said. “I don’t have time to play. I have to work for my family. We need a house for shelter. Can you help me?” “Sorry, but I don’t have a house. But you can chop off my branches to build your house.” So the boy cut all the branches off the tree and left happily. The tree was glad to see him happy but the boy never came back since then. The tree was again lonely and sad.

有一天,男孩终于来了,树兴奋地邀他一起玩。男孩说:“不行,我没有时间,我要替家里干活呢,我们需要一幢房子,你能帮忙吗?”“我没有房子,”苹果树说,“不过你可以把我的树枝统统砍下来,拿去搭房子。”于是男孩砍下所有的树枝,高高兴兴地运走去盖房子。看到男孩高兴树好快乐。从此,男孩又不来了。树再次陷入孤单和悲伤之中。

One hot summer day, the boy returned and the tree was delighted. “Come and play with me!” the tree said. “I am sad and getting old. I want to go sailing to relax myself. Can you give me a boat?” “Use my trunk to build your boat. You can sail far away and be happy.” So the boy cut the tree trunk to make a boat. He went sailing and never showed up for a long time. The tree was happy, but it was not true.

一年夏天,男孩回来了,树太快乐了:“来呀!孩子,来和我玩呀。”男孩却说:“我心情不好,一天天老了,我要扬帆出海,轻松一下,你能给我一艘船吗?”苹果树说:“把我的树干砍去,拿去做船吧!”于是男孩砍下了她的树干,造了条船,然后驾船走了,很久都没有回来。树好快乐……但不是真的。

Finally, the boy returned after he left for so many years. “Sorry, my boy. But I don’t have anything for you anymore. No more apples for you...” the tree said.

“I don’t have teeth to bite,” the boy replied.

许多年过去,男孩终于回来,苹果树说:“对不起,孩子,我已经没有东西可以给你了,我的苹果没了。”

男孩说:“我的牙都掉了,吃不了苹果了。”

“No more trunk for you to climb on.”

“I am too old for that now,” the boy said.

“I really can’t give you anything... the only thing left is my dying roots,” the tree said with tears.

苹果树又说:“我再没有树干,让你爬上来了。”

男孩说:“我太老了,爬不动了。”

“我再也没有什么给得出手了……,只剩下枯死下去的老根,”树流着泪说。

“I don’t need much now, just a place to rest. I am tired after all these years.” The boy replied.

“Good! Old tree roots is the best place to lean on and rest. Come, Come sit down with me and rest.” The boy sat down and the tree was glad and smiled with tears...

男孩说:“这么多年过去了,现在我感到累了,什么也不想要,只要一个休息的地方。”

“好啊!老根是最适合坐下来休息的,来啊,坐下来和我一起休息吧!”男孩坐下来,苹果树高兴得流下了眼泪……

This is a story of everyone. The tree is our parent. When we were young, we loved to play with Mom and Dad... When we grown up, we left them, and only came to them when we need something or when we are in trouble. No matter what, parents will always be there and give everything they could to make you happy. You may think that the boy is cruel to the tree but that’s how all of us are treating our parents.

这个中英文对照故事描述的就是我们每个人的故事。这颗树就是我们的父母。小时候,我们喜欢和爸爸妈妈玩……长大后,我们就离开他们,只在需要什么东西或者遇到麻烦的时候,才回到他们身边。无论如何,父母永远都在那儿,倾其所有使你快乐。你可能认为这个男孩对树很残酷,但这就是我们每个人对待父母的方式。

1. Honesty
诚实

A man went to an insurance office to have his life insured. The manager of the office asked him how old his parents were when they died.
  “Mother had a bad heart and died at the age of thirty. Father died of tuberculosis when he was thirty-five.”
  “I am very sorry,”said the manager,“we cannot insure your life as your parents were not healthy.”
  As the man was leaving the office, depressed, he met a clerk, who had overheard the conversation.
  “You must not be so frank and tell the truth,”said the clerk,“no office will insure you if you speak like that. Use your imagination a little.”
  The man went to another office and was shown into the manager's room.
  “Well, young man, how old were your parents when they died?”
  “Mother was ninety-three, and she died from a fall off her bicycle. Father was ninety-eight and he died while he was playing football.”

2. An American on a British Train
一个美国人乘英国火车

A young American entered a railway compartment on a British train, to discover that all seats were occupied, Including one on which was seated a small dog. To its owner, a middle-aged lady wearing a large hat, he said politely,“Excuse me, ma'am, but may I sit down?”
  She said nothing, but merely sniffed and turned over the pages of her newspaper.
  Again he said,“Excuse me, ma'am, but may I have this seat, please? And again she ignored him.
  For a third time the young American said,“Ma'am, would you please remove your dog so that I may sit down?”
  And for the third time the snooty matron totally ignored him, so he opened a window, picked up the dog, threw it out, and then sat on the empty seat.
  There was a stunned silence, and then an Englishman sitting opposite said,“You know, you Yanks are the strangest people. You drive on the wrong side of the road. You eat with the fork in the wrong hand, you name the floors in the wrong numbers, and now you've just thrown the wrong bitch out of the window!”

3.A Bad Foot
受伤的脚

There was a bookseller who did not like to pay for anything. One day a big box of books fell on his foot.
  “Go to the doctor,”said his wife,“show that foot to him.”
  “No,”he said,“I'll wait until the doctor comes to our shop next time. Then I'll ask him about my foot. If I go to see him, I shall have to pay.”
  The next day the doctor came to the shop to buy some books. The bookseller told the doctor about his bad foot. The doctor looked at it and promised to help.
  He took out a piece of paper and wrote something on it.“Buy this and put it on the foot before you go to bed every night.”he said.
  “Thank you.”said the bookseller.“And now, sir, here are your books.”
  “How much?”asked the doctor.
  “Two pounds.”
  “Good,”said the doctor.“I shall not have to pay you anything today.”
  “Why?”asked the bookseller.
  “I have examined your foot. I want two pounds for that. If people come to my house, I ask them to pay one pound for a small thing like that. But when I go to their houses, I usually charge two pounds. And I came here today, didn't I? Bye-bye!”

4.The Gold and the Fur Coat
金子与皮大衣

A young man and an old man were waiting for a bus at a station. They sat next to each other.
  “What's that in your bag?”asked the young man, pointing to a big bag beside the old man.
  “Gold, nothing but gold,”answered the old man.
  The young man could hardly believe his own ears,“What?”he said to himself in surprise.“So much gold? My God! How I wish to be able to get so much gold!”Then he began to think about how to get the gold.
  The old man looked tired and sleepy and it seemed that he could hardly keep his eyes open.“Are you sleepy, sir?”asked the young man.“Then you'd better lie down on the chair and have a good rest. Don't worry about the bus. I'll wake you up in time.”
  “All right. It's very kind of you, young man.”The old man lay down and before long he fell asleep.
  The young man took the big bag gently. But when he was about to run away, he found a corner of his fur coat was under the old man's body. Several times he tried to pull it out, but he couldn't. At last he took off his coat and went away with the bag.
  The young man ran out of the station as quickly as his legs could carry him. When he reached a place where he thought the old man couldn't find him, he stopped and quickly opened the bag.
  To his surprise, there was nothing but a lot of small stones in it. He hurried to the station at once. But when he got there, he found the old man was gone.

5. Shave Me First
先给我刮脸

A barber was in his shop, busily cutting a man's hair, when a handsome young stranger came in. He had a small boy with him. They sat down together and waited until the barber had finished. Then the young man told the barber to shave him and to cut the small boy's hair.
  The barber said,“Do you want me to cut the boy's hair first, or to shave you?”
  “Oh, shave me.”said the young man.“Then I'll go down the road and have a glass of wine while you're cutting the boy's hair.”
  The young man sat down in the barber's chair, and the barber began to shave him.
  When he had finished, the young man got up and said,“I'll go down the road now and have my wine while you're cutting the boy's hair.”
  “All right, but I won't take long.”the barber warned him. The young man went out, the small boy obediently sat down in the barber's chair,and the barber began to cut his hair.
  As he had said, he soon finished, and then the boy sat down and waited. At the end of half an hour, when the young man had still not come back, the barber said to the boy,“It is a pity that your daddy's taking such a long time. Where is he likely to be now?”
  “I can't guess,”answered the small boy.“And that man wasn't my daddy. I've never seen him before in my life. I was playing in the street this morning, and he came up to me and asked me whether I'd like to have my hair cut without having to pay anything. I said I would, because my hair was rather long, so he brought me here.”

6.The Man and His Monkey
耍猴的人

A small crowd had gathered round the entrance to the park. His curiosity aroused, Robert crossed the road to see what was happening. He found that the centre of attraction was an old man with a performing monkey. The monkey's tricks ,he soon discovered, were in no way remarkable. So after throwing a few pennies in the dirty hat which the man had placed on the pavement, Robert began to move off, along with other members of the crowd.
  At this point the man suddenly let out a loud cry. Everyone turned to see what had happened. The man was bending over his monkey, which now lay quite still
发表于 2010-12-7 18:26:35 | 显示全部楼层
那么多英文啊?我都不会
发表于 2010-12-8 12:36:41 | 显示全部楼层
令人深思的故事
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

求建议和反映问题|小黑屋|免责声名|Archiver|photoshop教程论坛 ( 粤ICP备07017357号 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-2 17:05 , Processed in 0.029286 second(s), 11 queries , XCache On.